Free worldwide Shipping on all razor orders over £125

                   

Vintage Ragg NOS Napoleon 2/8 Razor

£80.00

This vintage Sheffield John & William Ragg razor is NOS and therefore in very good condition with a narrow 2/8 carbon steel blade, for hair thinning or for detailing around a beard or moustache. It comes in its original box as shown. We have a number of these and so the images are not necessarily of the razor supplied. The tang of each is marked with Ragg’s “NAPOLEON” brand but the font varies.

Out of stock

Description

This vintage Ragg NOS Napoleon razor is in very good condition with a narrow 2/8 carbon steel blade. It is dieal for hair thinning or for detailing around a beard or moustache. It comes in its original box as shown. We have a number of these and so the images are not necessarily of the razor supplied. The tang of each is marked with Ragg’s “NAPOLEON” brand but the font varies.

The razor has a thick grind, a round point and jimping to the upper and lower tang and black scales, which we believe to be Bakelite. The scales are larger than the blade so there is a gap between the point of the blade and the spacer in the scales. While the razors came to me in very good condition, the odd one had a bit of corrosion on the spine or tang which I have removed. If you are interested in a small Sheffield razor then this would be a great buy.

History of Ragg Razors

Ragg’s was among the first to start traditional razor making Richard Ragg, a distant relation of John and William Ragg established himself as a cutler in Ecclesfield in 1601.

In 1833, John & William Ragg was listed as a razor, scissors, and pen knife manufacturer in Johnson Street, Sheffield.  In 1839, the firm began advertising its striking ‘NAPOLEON’ trade mark (showing Napoleon crossing the Alps painted by Jacques-Louis David). ‘PARAGON’ and ‘PLANTAGANET’ were other marks. While William oversaw the workshops, John was the travelling salesman selling razors to high class gentleman’s outfitters in London and Birmingham.

The business was passed on down through the family until in 1907 it relocated to Nursery Works, 95 Eldon Street and became limited company. In the 1920s, it produced safety razors under the trade name ‘ROTAX’, using its own machinery. Faster German machines were later installed, which were capable of producing about 15,000 blades a day. ‘PARAGON’ was also etched on safety razors. In addition, in 1933 Ragg Tuning Forks Ltd was established and Ragg’s began making blades for handicraft modelling.

In 1977 Ragg took over William Grant Ltd and having moved to new premises at Callywhite Lane, Dronfield ceased production of razors. However it continued to make professional knives, palette knives, and surgical scalpels as Granton Ragg Ltd. By 2011, it had been renamed Granton Medical Ltd, which reflected its focus on scalpels, sterilised packaging, and tuning forks for medical diagnosis.  In 2012, Granton Medical sold Ragg Tuning Forks to Uniplex.

The razors we are selling here are believed to date from the 1960’s and 1970’s and are thought to be recently discovered residual stock.

SHAVE READY – all our razors are individually prepared and supplied shave ready. For full details see our policy.

Additional information

Size

Steel Type

Scale Material

Scale Colour

Point

Brand

Grind Type

Brand

John & William Ragg & Co

Ragg’s was among the first to start traditional razor making Richard Ragg, a distant relation of John and William Ragg established himself as a cutler in Ecclesfield in 1601.

In 1833, John & William Ragg was listed as a razor, scissors, and pen knife manufacturer in Johnson Street, Sheffield.  In 1839, the firm began advertising its striking ‘NAPOLEON’ trade mark (showing Napoleon crossing the Alps painted by Jacques-Louis David). ‘PARAGON’ and ‘PLANTAGANET’ were other marks. While William oversaw the workshops, John was the travelling salesman selling razors to high class gentleman’s outfitters in London and Birmingham.

The business was passed on down through the family until in 1907 it relocated to Nursery Works, 95 Eldon Street and became limited company In the 1920s, it produced safety razors under the trade name ‘ROTAX’, using its own machinery. Faster German machines were later installed, which were capable of producing about 15,000 blades a day. ‘PARAGON’ was also etched on safety razors. In addition, in 1933 Ragg Tuning Forks Ltd was established and Ragg’s began making blades for handicraft modelling.

In 1977 Ragg took over William Grant Ltd and having moved to new premises at Callywhite Lane, Dronfield ceased production of razors but continued to make professional knives, palette knives, and surgical scalpels as Granton Ragg Ltd. By 2011, it had been renamed Granton Medical Ltd, which reflected its focus on scalpels, sterilised packaging, and tuning forks for medical diagnosis).  In 2012, Granton Medical sold Ragg Tuning Forks to Uniplex.